Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Annoyance. A List.

After getting into a discussion on this subject recently I decided to make this little blog with the subject.....

10 worst things at a show
(in no particular order):


1.) "stop pushing!"

Now this is annoying, kids if you insist on being in the front for a show you must expect pushing. A lot of people want to be right in front and they for some reason believe if you shove people ahead of you they will get there. It is a common thing and completely unavoidable. If you can't take it, you really shouldn't be in the front. And doing the whole '1 2 3 push back' thing just makes things worse. It's simple, if you want to be in the front you need to be able to stand your ground and take some hits, and sometimes be crushed. So stop bitching!


2.) Crowd surfers

This is the single most annoying thing at a show in my opinion. The only time I think it's ok is when someone is crowdsurfing to get to the front because it is their only means of getting out of the crowd. Such as the 'stop pushing' kids that can't take the crushing. That's fine. But the assholes that land on your head while going 'whoooo!' need to be exterminated. Especially the ones that go up multiple times. I find it hilarious when these people get dropped to the floor. That may sound mean, but I've sustained many an injury from them and feel no sympathy when they get hurt for engaging in their jackassery. I also find it hilarious when a girl goes up and gets her flip flops stolen or a hand up her skirt. What did you think was going to happen? Stupid.


3.) Kids that think every show is a hardcore show

Ok...If you are seeing a band like, oh idk New Found Glory, you do not NOT need to go in a 'mosh pit' and thrash. The 14 year old kid flailing his arms around and kicking, it's just sad. At every show, there is always a couple of them. Even at shows where there is a proper, potentially fun, mosh pit you always have a couple of those idiots ruining it. And I would bet every cent I have that none of those kids have actually been to a real hardcore show in their life. I think because culture is so deluded now those kids actually think that's what you do in a most pit. It's not.


4.) Screamers

I hate hate hate the girls that seem to think they are at a backstreet boys concert. Really now, it's sad how these girls now cling to bands. It makes me miss the boy bands actually so these girls will go there and leave the real bands alone. Yes girls, Davey Havok is hot, but you do NOT need to shriek like a rabid fangirl every time he comes over by you. Especially when it's right in my ear. Then I have to pose a death threat to a 15 year old so I can salvage my hearing. Not a good time.


5.) The Statues

These people annoy me so. They are the ones who want to stand completely still throughout the show and if anyone knocks into them in some way they get pissed. Now yes, some shows it is appropriate to just stand. If it's one of those where everyone is spaced out just watching, like when I saw The Cure for example. But even then, if someone dances a little that's fine. But shows where everyone is kinda crushed together, or it's a big crowd....dance, mosh, have fun! That's what I do. And I've been yelled at by people for doing so. Really? I mean aren't concerts supposed to be fun? So many people now just want to stand, they don't want to be touched. Then stay in the back. Though I like to have fun.


6.) "I want to remember it"

These are the people that record every second of the show on their camera or phone. You are trying to watch the show and you constantly have someones phone up by your face blocking your view. When you say 'why don't you just WATCH the show' they say "I want to remember it" what? How can you remember a show you didn't even pay attention to? I don't know but I think if I wanted to watch an entire show through a screen I would have just staying home and watched videos of it. You are missing the entire 'live' experience, and it's that the whole point? Even when you watch videos of shows you see the whole crowd lit up with screens of people recording. IDK maybe I'm sounding old, but I like just going to a show and watching it, I don't need anything with me and I keep my memories in my head. I don't have pictures of the best shows I have been to, but I have a lot of memories. And I can remember every show without any video documentation.


7.) "Your going to get hurt little girl"

This one pertains to girls, such as myself. And it is both funny and annoying. It's like this I'm in the crowd by some guys, they look at me and tell me things like 'oh your little, you're going to get hurt' and 'oh she's not getting up here' 'girls shouldn't be up here' 'girls can't mosh' it's annoying. The funny part is when I not only stay where I am with no trouble, but I move them. It's not about size or gender, it's about knowing what you are doing. I have been to many many shows of all kinds and been in many a mosh pit. I know how to handle myself. It's also very satisfying to see the guy that picked on you leave because he can't take the crowd while you are still going.


8.) The Drunks

Now some people like to drink at shows, that's fine. But what I don't get are the people that say 'this is my favorite band!' then they get so plastered that there is no way in hell they will remember it. Especially at the more expensive shows. You pay all that money to go and wipe your memory of even being there? I also hate when these same people bring their beer into the crowd and not so much drink it as let everyone around them wear it. Also don't lean on me for support because you are too drunk to stand, I'm just going to let you fall to the floor. Ugh.


9.) The Fight for Swag

Ok I can see how it might be neat to catch a drumstick or a pick from your fav band. But what I don't understand are the people that practically kill each other to get it. What's more annoying is when you are caught in the fight and could care less about what is being fought over. Like when everyone next to you is fighting over a drumstick and you are waiting for it to come up and beam you in the head. I've been scratched by these little battles before and I wasn't even trying for it! They literally bite and scratch each other to get these things. I just don't get it.


10.) Hecklers

This is so pointless. These are the people that when they don't like, say, the opening band, they yell 'boo you suck!' or other such nonsense. Now I think the person is just making himself look like an asshole. I can see not liking a band. I've sat through some pretty horrendous openers before. Some of them were genuinely just BAD, however I didn't feel the need to make a spectacle of myself to yell out what most people probably already knew. I mean come on, if you don't like the band just sit there and wait it out. Pick on the band with your friends next to you. Or just stand there and look bored, or hey go do something else until the band is done. Go to the merch booth or something. You don't have to act like a douche and annoy everyone around you. Just shut up. every band deserves a tiny bit of respect either way, even if they suck, because they did something right to even be on the stage. I don't see the guy yelling 'boo' up there.


Well that's what I got. There's probably more. Just kinda a venting thinking out loud kind of thing. Obviously not all these apply to every show, but hey. Just stuff I've experienced many times in the past. Seems the younger the audience the worse these things get. I sound old saying this, but I miss the crowds of days gone by. I think kids just don't know how to act at shows because now adays they are exposed to such shitty music and a lack of decent culture. I think parents need to step it up and teach kids how to really experience music and live shows. Because those things are some of the best things in the world.

No comments: