Saturday, August 21, 2010

America the misunderstood

So lately I have been all about comics about Scandinavia, as you are aware. And while going on her site i have been interacting with other people from all over. And it kind of disturbs me to see the perception so many people in Europe have of Americans. Many of them complaining how we all supposedly stereotype every other country and not realizing the hypocrisy of that statement. Saying we think we are better than everyone and don't bother with any culture other than our own.

One person talking about how she was a German exchange student and everyone in America called her a Nazi. Everyone took her story as a launching pad to talk about how ignorant Americans are and how apparently we are just all like that. One girl from here actually apologized for being from her own country. Then I went on to say how I am from the US but one of my best friends is from Germany. And while she was here I don't recall her talking about people being cruel to her. And that I'm from a very German family, many people here are. Also that the reason I got into this girls comics was because lately Scandinavian culture interested me, so I had been studying it more or less. I like learning about other cultures, I like when Nicola tells me things that are different where she lives as opposed to here. It's interesting to me.

I don't say 'our culture is almighty and all the others are inferior!' thing is, I have met hardly anyone (if anyone at all) in this country who feels that way. One bad thing I will say of my country is that many times our media focuses on negative things and gives negative ignorant people spotlight. Other countries see this and get the perception that the whole country is exactly that way. It's unfair. Every country EVERY country has the ignorant assholes. But also EVERY country has good people, who are like other people anywhere else. I can say most people in this country are good enough people. Many are well aware of other cultures and respect them. I know many people besides myself who have friends from abroad.

There was also the discussion about how we never bother to learn another language. Also not really true, I know a lot of people that speak fluent Spanish. Yeah maybe we don't know other European languages, but then again we aren't close to Europe. Here learning Spanish or French is more applicable. I like that me and a few other people helped make a good name for the US at least on that little art site. But many of the people were referring to us as 'exceptions' and 'one of the cool Americans' or even saying 'we act more European' and apparently I get points for having a european best friend? that's just odd....then you have other Americans on there undoing it by saying the author of the comic is bad and she was making us look bad...blah blah. If you look at her comic she plays off all the stereotypes of ALL the countries, and has comics showing the Scandinavian countries doing the same stuff. (such as most Americans are familiar with countries in south America where apparently many Scandinavians can't even remember the continent name). Maybe she makes where she is from look a little better....but hey she's from there, big deal. I'd also like to point out not every European on there was accusing us of being that way, in fact most of them weren't, most people on there are awesome. I'm just talking about the few that were. Another example of a few people making a whole group look bad when in fact they aren't.

Bottom line is, I'm not trying to be all AMERICA RULES or anything. But I do not believe I live in a bad or ignorant country. We have problems yes, and we have some bad people yes. But so does every other country on the planet. I'm not a fan of stereotypes. I'm not a fan of even passing judgment on a country if you have never been there.

America is not all of fat redneck idiots
Germany is not full of Nazis
France is not full of weak pansies
Finland is not all drunks
Not everyone in Afghanistan is a terrorist.

Everyone get over yourself, calm down, and get along Damn it! :)

So now that that is out of the way, I'm going to go read funny comics. Good day. :)

No comments: